indulgence

me talking about me (and other things)

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

weather and silence

Yes, the weather in Iceland is an issue, every single day. Yesterday it was summertime, today a storm is shaking our trees and Monika said that it would be okey if it either snowed or rained, but together at the same time? That is our tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic, we get every bit of weather the gods can think about, on a daily basis.

If you read “..and they sat together in comfortable silence,” you can guess that a man has written the sentence. Reading the book “Why Men don’t listen and Women can´t read Maps” by Allen Pease, 2001, I have learned that my husband isn´t as unique as I thought. On the other hand, I am great at reading maps and things like that but it is true, if I would have to back into a parking place, I would rather find another one. But comfortable silence… is that’s why so many women blog?

3 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger Biene said...

I like silence when I am alone, but not when somebody is beside me. And I blog.
Yes darling of course. I will. too. there were made for that, many of them anyhow.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Minka said...

I have to add another seasonal variety. Yesterday it started to snow at around 10, then it rained after 12 and washed away all the snow. AT around 7 in the evening we had hail...now there you go. How is one supposed to dress in this kinda climate.

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mum being a pure-blooded Icelander always says that the best way to dress in the Icelandic climate is to dress in "layers" so if you cover yourself with lots of thin layers, when the weather changes for the better, you peel some off, and when it changes for the worse, you keep layering up... it never fails! And you know this is the second time I have heard a woman talk about a woman's inability to reverse into spaces... this troubles me... I always back into parking spaces, but then I learned to drive in GB and there you have to master the art to pass your test, everyone I know in Iceland who took a test said that the driving instructor just asked if they could reverse and when they said yes, gave them a tick for reversing... so I have a theory that it's not just women but perhaps it has more to do with where you learned to drive or where you have been driving for a long time because I have never ever seen an Icelandic man back into a parking space either and I have years of experience with this very thing... so women, don't give yourselves such a hard time!! But saying that... a lot of women all over the world do say that they don't have the confidence to reverse and I think it's just that they've heard too many women drivers jokes!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home