indulgence

me talking about me (and other things)

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Post skriptum for shopping: books

Yes, you got me there. I forgot bookshops. I loose myself in bookshops and rarely get out without another book. The most dangerous bookshop is in London airport Heathrow. When we fly to Portugal we got a stopover for seven hours. Yes, you can buy quite a load of books in seven hours. The only restriction is your strength to carry them. I think, last time when I was alone I bought ten. The time before Monika drew me out after five. Why Heathrow? They are so much cheaper than in Iceland.
When I have the choice of two books I buy the fatter one. I mean, you get more in 600 pages than 200, don´t you? Of course I also look at the authors. But take care not to buy the same name too often, most of them get really bad after a time. The cover picture also tells you a lot. Then read the backcover and when you are satisfied to that point, read some sentences in the middle. It can be a flop, then you got a garbage bag. The last of my books to go there was a late one of Patricia Cornwall (well?).
Sometimes you get good tips in newspapers. But you would not want to buy bestseller no.1. More often than not it is trash what tells you a lot about the people who buy books.
Amy Tan you can always buy, up to now at least, Margaret Atwood, Alice Walker as well, Marilyn French – but that are no news for readers.
Newly I look for books from the modern chinese and japanese culture. The most interesting thing about that, I feel, is that we all are truly homo sapiens and that differences in human feelings and behavoir rarely exist undir the flimsy skin of conventional courtesy and different religions.
And don´t forget them, the sweet books you read when you want to rest your brain; where the black haired woman is bad and the blond is the good one and the hero rescues all of them. Try Wilbur Smith and you get lost in adventures in far away countries. And then there are so many more …
Yeah, I love me books! (see pictures under “my pictures”, yes, I´ve got a big house.)

3 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger Minka said...

So, the whole thing "Don´t judge a book by its cover" goes down the drain. But that is fine with me. I always thought they should rephrase this sentence into "Don´t judge a book by its film". I know you have very good taste when it comes to books, however I do not need to know how to pick a good one. Those I usually find on the third shelve to thr right after they have undergone your screening process.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger elizaberry said...

I loved how you stated so well that best-sellers are often trash that only tell you about the questionable taste of the masses. You named some of my favorite authors in your post--Margaret Atwood and Alice Walker in particular.

Reading your blog has motivated me to resume posting on my own. Thanks for writing!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Biene said...

Dear Elizabeth, Thank you for your comment. I went to get a look at your block, but sorry to say, it is closed. You also read Doris Lessing? And how do you like the latest book from Margret Atwood "Onyx ..." I don´t remember the whole title, it´s out right now. What a fantasy! And sorrowfull future for as.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home