indulgence

me talking about me (and other things)

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Our Christmas

So, Christmas has come and Christmas has gone, nearly, the house is quiet again, the candles have burnt down, and there is peace in our hearts, yes, there is. There are still lots and lots of food, only the bread is finished.
The 24th is always an exciting day, but this one was special, as the electricity went about two o’clock, just in our house and we could not find the source. We killed all electricity like lamps and fridge and so on, but nothing helped, we got a blink of light and that was it. Never before did I have so many candles burning in my house, in the spirit of the day. But finally, after a cry for help people from the city came and restored our life to normal and the cooking could begin. The reason: Water had leaked into the main electricity intake and we were happy not to have burned our house down. My thoughts drifted to me crunching waterdrops in form of snow and ice, was this the revenge of the Ice Queen? We will never know.
Christmas eve was slow and sweet and peacefull, like it should be.
The 25th however was exciting. Jakobína and Gudmar came from the country with Ómar, Smári, Grétar, Alisse and Mareike, two young german women who help on the farm taming horses and, of course, the dog Rosa, neatly dressed in her yellow overall. Further Ragnar, Gerdur and Ottar, Margrét, Gisli, Júlíús and Sebastian. Marinó was already here and Monika and Tryggvi came later in the day because Monika was working. So there was a opening of presents once again and with all these kids paper went flying, sweets were crushed on the floor, soft drinks got spilled and everybody was very happy. We ate: Graflax (home catched and home made) and smoked salmon (home smoked, of course) each with it’s sauce, two kinds of smoked leg of lamb, sliced, cold, smoked pork, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rófur (?), laufabraud (which I made in school the other day), cookies, cakes, sweets … quite tradinional and always good. So the days went by, eating and laughing.
Now grandpa and grandma are alone again and happy with that, too. It is quiet inside and outside, everybody full and resting, I suppose. And tomorrow back to work but we lucky teachers.
I hope you had a nice Christmas too!

1 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Minka said...

What a lovely entrance. Since I live in this house too, My boyfriend and I shared the darkness of the non-exsisting electricity. But I have to admit: I loved when there was only candle light all around the flat. No TV, no radio, no sound really...except our voices and the chirping of our bird! Very romantic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home